Letter: ​Celebrate Holi Moli with respect and joy

HOLI MOLI.

It’s not a paint fight.

It’s not a color run.

It’s UNC’s celebration of the Hindu holiday, Holi.

For years, Carolina has put on Holi Moli, our take on the Hindu festival of Holi. I view Holi Moli as an opportunity to celebrate Holi with the large South Asian population in the area as well to share it with those interested in the colorful and joyous holiday.

From a religious standpoint, Holi represents many Hindu legends of good’s triumph in the face of adversity and evil. The most famous legend is of Holika, an evil king’s sister who attempted to kill her nephew who worshipped Hindu gods but ended up only harming herself and her sinister brother.

While many have argued against the cultural white-washing of Holi, this is unavoidable in some sense at a predominantly white university. This, to me, is comparable to how the American Christmas season teaches us all to appreciate what we have and who we love, despite its Christian roots. 

Holi in South Asia, especially following the abolition of the caste system, seeks to harmonize communities divided by social and economic barriers of the past in a holiday of color and life. The event serves as a medium for the rekindling of relationships as larger communities reunite to celebrate spring. 

Holi Moli at Carolina intends to serve our community in the same way, keeping the essence of the celebration alive and well.

Maybe our Holi participants can’t walk away reciting the traditional story of Holika; however, I hope that every student leaves the event with a stronger commitment to our campus and community.

Happy Holi, Holi Hai, and cheers to Holi Moli!

Savita Sivakumar

Finance Co-Chairwoman Holi Moli Executive Team