Letter: ​The DTH should take more care in coverage

On April 13, I was contacted by a staff writer for The Daily Tar Heel regarding an interview for a story about the rededication of The Gift that took place Friday at 11 a.m.

Although I happily answered her questions and gave her as much information as I could, I must admit that I am highly disappointed (once again) in the DTH. 

Over the past few months, we have seen increased media presence from the DTH regarding Native American issues around campus. As the president of the Carolina Indian Circle, I am thankful for your efforts to bring attention to these topics. 

However, when your interviewer who is supposed to be covering an event begins the interview by asking me, “What happened at the event?,” I am extremely dismayed. 

If we want to encourage positive conversations surrounding the Native American community on campus, it would be helpful to ensure that you all do everything you can to experience these events for yourself as reporters. 

As an insider within this community, my perspective is certainly relevant. However, the other 99.6 percent of students on this campus who are not Native probably have a perspective that is similar to yours.

We would encourage everyone to make an effort to visit these events and immerse yourself in our community. Reading an article in the paper limits your ability to learn, especially when those writing the articles may or may not have been present themselves.

Chelsea Barnes

Senior

Political science and communications