Letter: The story behind Merritt’s Mondays

Spring in Chapel Hill is a special time for Tar Heels. With warmer weather comes a reminder — an invitation — to make every moment count, to look for opportunities to celebrate others and to embrace the legacy of Eve Marie Carson.

In memorial to our fallen student body president of 2008, the Eve Carson Scholarship is the realization of a scholarship first outlined by Eve herself.

It would be a junior-year scholarship to celebrate leadership, service, character and transformative growth since matriculation at this great university, and we are honored to now meet this need with an established scholarship fund that continues to grow.

With this year’s addition of a third annual scholar, we yet again have seen this mission realized as Michael Adams, Nancy Smith and Paige Nielsen propel the Carolina Way as the 2015 Eve Carson scholars. Each of these individuals has served as a light in our community since they first set foot on this campus, and it is for that reason that this honor is appropriate.

In addition to the award of the scholarships, our organization is proud to also serve the Carolina community as an entity of good. We seek to foster an environment where students swell with pride at the mention of others’ successes, where we do not simply make time for others, rather we relish in the opportunity to do so.

In doing so, partnerships have developed both on and off campus, and this spring we are so glad to have been able to work alongside a Chapel Hill institution in Merritt’s Store & Grill, which is equally committed to this community.

Our series of Merritt’s Mondays have been opportunities to take a break from busy days, to lean on each other in times of tragedy and to remind ourselves why we do what we do.

Eve explained why she did what she did in these words: “I want any excuse to work with my classmates (and help them do what they want to do).”

This coming Monday—April 13 — we will hold this spring’s last Merritt’s Monday, and we invite each and every one of you out to the Pit at noon to help us make it count. Grab a classic BLT sandwich, hang out in the pit with your friends and remind yourself that every moment counts.

Zack Newbauer

Senior

Executive Director, Eve Carson Scholarship