Opinion: This editorial board also faces a diversity crisis

Throughout the year, this editorial board has written extensively on the problem of inadequate diversity within university and state institutions.

Whether we are speaking of the importance of diversity in terms of race, gender identity, economic background or a myriad of other categories, we have argued for both the preference of marginalized voices within public discourse and the disruption of white and male institutional dominance.

Yet, while noting the importance of these voices, we recognize that we, too, have failed. Nine out of our 11 editorial board members are white. Eight of 11 of us are men. There are no black or latino/a members.

These flaws matter. In an essay in The Atlantic, Ta-Nehisi Coates critiqued the failures of The New Republic, arguing that the lack of black representation among the magazine’s staff contributed to a fundamental disrespect of black communities and their narratives. Coates points to numerous problematic articles and opinions published by The New Republic that likely would not have been published if its staff had been more racially diverse.

While we work to satisfy our social responsibility to all community members, we recognize the impossibility of our current board meeting this goal.

For all people who have power or are currently seeking positions of power, we must question the appropriateness of our appointments and consider the difficult reality that our institutions would benefit more from the leadership of others.

In regards to this editorial board, we must change. We encourage all who share this vision to apply.