Opinion: Young voters should avoid becoming disillusioned

Given the state of American politics, recent findings that suggest younger people are abandoning major party labels and identifying as independents are perhaps not surprising. This sentiment can be linked to what we perceive to be a general disillusionment with the political apparatus.

While it is understandable that activists feel disheartened when issues they promote and defend are ignored or filibustered away, the unfortunate truth is that there is no realistic alternative to engaging in the political process. Younger generations must not forget that the predominant way to effect political change is still to either convince politicians in office to pass legislation or vote them out of office.

And with 2016 fast approaching, this rings especially true. Voters will have to make decisions that could affect the state and national political landscapes.

College-educated or otherwise privileged individuals who tend to suffer less from the consequences of political sea change, should recognize they have opportunities to engage in the process for good in ways inaccessible to less privileged individuals.

UNC has not lacked such opportunities this year. But the lethargic response to the race for student body president in the face of widespread student activism should not be paralleled in the forthcoming elections.

The social and economic well-being of the U.S., whether we like it or not, depends on it.