Quickhits for Apr. 2, 2015

Our only Knope

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

Of course something like this happens as soon as “Parks and Recreation” goes off the air. Indiana’s discriminatory “religious freedom” law isn’t an isolated incident, but we’re certain this brand of stupidity wouldn’t have spread to Indiana if Leslie Knope had anything to say about it. We suspect Councilman Jamm.

Dinner's on Dean

4722_thumbsupo.jpg

Dean Smith’s legend only grows. As we’ve all heard by now, he left $200 to each of his former players for a nice dinner out. We’re pretty sure there’s nowhere in town someone could drop $200 on a single dinner, so, former players: We offer ourselves up as dinner companions. We’re chatty and fun. We promise. 

A sad farewell

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

Some reactions to Ishmael Bishop’s final column beautifully illustrated his point: Many people aren’t comfortable listening to black people talk about what it’s like to be black. We’re grateful to Ishmael, and we hope people of color who write for the DTH in the future are listened to and treated with more grace. 

Jackson's back

4722_thumbsupo.jpg

Tar Heel fans everywhere starving for some good basketball news pretended to be pleasantly surprised Wednesday when Justin Jackson announced he’d be returning for his sophomore season. Secretly we were just flattered someone, somewhere had considered at least one of our players to have NBA potential. 

Bad guys win

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

How is it that three of the Final Four teams are the three teams UNC fans were probably rooting against from the start? Granted, the odds were in favor of Duke and Kentucky, but adding Michigan State and Wisconsin into the mix — a team UNC fans have only recently started rooting against — is  just insult to injury. 

Carolina Zoo

It’s springtime, and prospective students and grade schoolers alike are swarming campus. On one hand, it’s cool to feel like your school is worthy of being a field trip destination. On the other, it’s hard being constantly reminded that you and your gross sweatpants are these kids’ first impression of college life.