The kvetches published every Friday are the favorite part of the paper for two seniors, best friends Annie Holleran and Kara Marker.

Holleran and Marker first began kvetching during their sophomore year, both submitting their anonymous kvetches.

“Getting that first kvetch printed was incredible,” Holleran said. “There was such a feeling of accomplishment. Like, ‘Wow! Other people think I’m funny, too.’”

Soon a competition sprang up between the two. This competition called for rules and regulations recorded in a Google doc along with archived kvetches between the best friends from over the years. For example, posts that make it to the Best of the Year kvetching board are worth more points than the posts on the weekly kvetching board.

“When I got my first kvetch,” Marker said, “I was so happy, and I felt so sneaky because kvetch submissions are anonymous.”

Friends of Holleran and Marker love seeing kvetches that come out of the ongoing competition between the two.

“I think the competition is awesome,” said Becky Turner, a close friend of the two. “They’re not overly competitive with it, just two friends who happen to have the same, witty sense of humor and have found a measurable outlet for that humor.”

At the moment, Holleran has the lead. However, it is possible that Marker can steal it before the year is up.

Though both girls are vying for the lead, it has not hindered their personal relationship.

“My favorite kvetches of Kara’s have to do with her science classes,” Holleran said. “One of my favorites is probably ‘A Microbiology Gettysburg Address: Forespore and seven smears ago...’”

The pair said they do it to make people laugh, not for recognition.

“Kara and I love making people laugh,” said Holleran. “And UNC is definitely a place where people need some humor to brighten up their day.”

Turner acknowledged the strength of the girls’ bond from outside of the competition.

“Overall I think it adds another layer of connection between the two of them,” Turner said. “This friendly competition is clearly something that they bond over, and it’s definitely a memory they’ll treasure throughout the years.”

The pair loves sending in their own kvetches, as well as reading ones submitted by each other. The winner is going to receive a dinner at the Carolina Inn at the expense of the loser, but they are more excited about actually eating a meal together.