JP Tokoto declares for NBA draft

The junior forward is the first Tar Heel to say he won’t return next year.

According to Yahoo! Sports, Tokoto will not sign with an agent and can still withdraw from the draft before the April 26 early entry 
deadline.

He is the first Tar Heel to officially declare for this year’s draft.

The 6-foot-6-inch, 200-pound wing from Menomonee Falls, Wisc., is currently projected as a second-round pick by several NBA executives, according to Yahoo! Sports.

He was rated the 25th-best potential prospect in the 2016 class by DraftExpress.com.

“The way I see it, everybody that’s able to come back will be back and ready to go,” said junior point guard Marcus Paige after UNC’s 79-72 season-ending loss to Wisconsin in the Sweet 16.

“Obviously, things change, but I don’t see it any different.”

Tokoto, who started in 34 of the Tar Heels’ 38 games during the 2014-15 season, averaged 8.3 points, 5.6 rebounds and 4.3 assists per game. He played the second most minutes this season and was one of four players in the ACC ranked in the top 10 in the conference in assists and steals.

In what might have been his final collegiate game, Tokoto scored four points on 2-of-6 shooting and recorded three assists and four rebounds against the Badgers.

As a sophomore during the 2013-14 season, Tokoto received ACC All-Defensive team honors from both the media and ACC head coaches after leading the Tar Heels with 55 steals.

The junior forward’s decision could carry serious recruiting implications.

The Tar Heels are recruiting five-star small forwards Brandon Ingram from Kinston, N.C., and Jaylen Brown from Alpharetta, Ga. With Tokoto’s likely departure, there’s an opening at that position.

Juniors Brice Johnson and Paige already announced they will be returning for the 2015-16 season, as well as freshman swingman Justin Jackson.

Sophomore Kennedy Meeks, another UNC starter this season, has yet to announce if he will stay in school or declare for the NBA draft.

With Tokoto gone, freshman swingman Theo Pinson, freshman guard Joel Berry and sophomore guard Nate Britt could all see an increase in playing time.

Following the team’s loss in the Sweet 16, Paige spoke about the team’s potential if everyone eligible returned for the 2015-16 campaign. Tokoto’s departure is the first hitch in that plan.

“We have a lot of guys that’ll be back,” Paige said. “Basically, the same core group of guys.”