UNC women’s tennis ends regular season perfectly

The Tar Heels made ACC history with their unblemished record.

Hayley Carter helped the Tar Heels reach an undefeated season.

On Friday, the North Carolina’s women’s tennis team proved that point.

Thirty-eight years after the ACC began recording women’s tennis in 1977, no team had achieved a perfect season in both ACC and non-conference.

The 2015 Tar Heels now hold that record.

Defeating Boston College (13-11, 7-7 ACC) 5-2, North Carolina completed a perfect 26-0 season.

“Its really cool to look back, reflect and see where we are in history, and how cool of an accomplishment it is,” said sophomore Hayley Carter.

But Friday’s game was not the perfect ending to the Tar Heels’ perfect season, as it reflected the ups and downs of the 2015 season.

The Tar Heels were expecting an indoor match at 2:30 p.m. on Friday, but that’s not what they played.

“There were a lot of things that didn’t go our way (Friday),” sophomore Jamie Loeb said.

“We had to play a little later outdoors, so it took us a little bit to adjust, but we got it done, which is good.”

Loeb, ranked No. 6, was upset by Boston College’s Jessica Wacnik, who is ranked almost 100 spots behind her at No. 105.

Her loss was another unexpected hurdle for the team.

Despite Loeb’s defeat, the rest of her team stepped up to pull out its 26th win. Just like all season, defeating Boston College was a team effort.

“We have a great group of girls,” Loeb said. “Everyone has stepped up, at every part of the lineup, at different parts of the season.”

Friday wasn’t just any match though, and the team was well aware.

“Knowing what was at stake — with the history behind it — was a little nerve wracking,” Carter said. “But we went in and had a little fun, and we were happy about the win.”

Their season, along with their goals, doesn’t stop at a perfect record.

The Tar Heels could face some of their toughest opponents, for a second time, in the ACC Tournament this Friday.

Senior Caroline Price knows this, but she doesn’t shy away from the challenge.

“I see our program just going up,” she said. “I see three freshmen who are so hungry to get into the lineup. I see them working at practice so hard, and I think our team is only going to get better because of that.”

Going into the tournament undefeated makes UNC the team to beat, but the “notorious nine,” as they are called, are used to the pressure.

“We have had a target on our back all season since winning the ITA National Team Indoor Championship,” Carter said. “We are really looking forward to the (ACC) Tournament and really proving we deserve the record we have.”