29,000 brave the rain for graduation

Students try to stay dry at the class of 2015's graduation ceremony Sunday morning.

As graduates turned their tassels, the sun peeked out after hours of mist and light rain. 

On Sunday 3,783 bachelor's recipients were among the 29,000 people who sat through the frequent showers for Commencement. 

The ceremony was shortened due to the inclement weather. Chancellor Carol Folt joked that she cut her 40 minute closing remarks to four main points.

"You're at the best university in the world. You can change the world, follow your dreams and you share this day with many people," she said. 

More than 600 of the graduates were first generation college students. 

"All of the opportunities both inside and outside the classroom that we can take advantage of have prepared us for anything in the world that we might want to tackle," Shakeia Burgin, a first-generation graduate, said.  

"Everyone is so passionate about things they have done at Carolina and passionate about continuing those things. All of that combined has prepared us for whatever we might face in the future."

Class of 2015 President Sasha Seymore and Vice President Alexis White said that despite trying to avoid cliches in their speech, they found most of the cliches about graduation to be true for UNC graduates.

Seymore and White assured the graduates that UNC is the best university not just because of its academics but because of the community. 

“UNC is the best not just because of our experiences in the classroom but because of the shared memories and experiences and lessons that we’ve learned along the way,” Seymore said.

He reminisced about some of the highlights from his four years, including UNC basketball's 2014 win against Duke and the 2012 Juicy J and 2 Chainz concert. 

He also acknowledged the hard times the class of 2015 faced, including the Chapel Hill shooting. In honor of the students who died this year, a chair was left empty at the ceremony. 

“We’ve endured tragic losses and scandals that have challenged us yet made us stronger as a class and University," he said. 

Seymore and White recited the cliches "you can change the world" and "follow your dreams," and said graduates need to hear those words even if they are overused.  

Folt said she expects the class of 2015 to represent the Carolina Way after graduation by giving back to the University. 

“This has been a public university that thrives from ideas and fresh perspectives of her graduates," Folt said.

Folt gave out six honorary degrees. Doctor of Laws degrees went to Catarina de Albuquerque, a human rights lawyer; R. Charles Loudermilk Sr., an entrepreneur, philanthropist and businessman; Mary Junck, chairwoman on the board of the Associated Press and CEO of Lee Enterprises, a major newspaper corporation; and Wyndham Robertson, a leader among women in journalism.

Charles Millard III, an art history scholar who served as the director of the Ackland Art Museum from 1985 to 1993, received a Doctor of Fine Arts. Peter Higgs, who received the Nobel Peace Prize in physics, received a Doctor of Science earlier this year in Edinburg, Scotland.