Walk-off home run caps Notre Dame sweep of North Carolina

With two outs, no runners on base and the game in the bottom of ninth inning, the North Carolina men’s baseball team found itself tied 7-7 with Notre Dame with a chance to extend the game. 

The Tar Heels had once again let their lead slip away, as they had done twice before in this three-game series in South Bend, Ind. This time, a commanding 6-0 lead in the second inning had been slowly chipped away. 

“We hit a few big plays early like on the grand slam,” Coach Mike Fox said. “We just thought, ‘Well they’re not going to get back into the game hitting solo home runs.’” 

Seven innings and four home runs later, the Fighting Irish had a chance to win it after having already clinched the series with 10-5 and 3-1 wins the day before. 

With Kyle Richardson at bat, Trent Thornton stood at the mound looking to extend the game for the Tar Heels. Allowing a fifth home run would mean the end of the game and a series sweep for Notre Dame. 

Moments later, the wind carried Richardson’s hit towards left field and out over the fence — the first home run of his career — ending the game 8-7. 

“There’s not much to be said,” Benton Moss said. “Sometimes the ball just doesn’t roll your way.” 

Sunday, the ball simply didn’t fly UNC’s way. With storms in the surrounding area and wind gusts affecting batting and pitching, the weather proved an additional challenge for the Tar Heels.

“I’ve never experienced that before,” Moss said. “I’ve played in windy games before, but this was a whole new level.”

The wind carried numerous balls over the fence for both teams, helping Notre Dame to complete the comeback. The Tar Heels benefited early from the wind, as Tyler Ramirez and Skye Bolt combined for two home runs to put the Tar Heels up 6-0. 

“The ball was absolutely flying,” Fox said. “It felt like if you hit the ball it was gone.”

Notre Dame’s pitching would slow the Tar Heels as the game went on, as the team was held scoreless in the final six innings. The same couldn’t be said about the Notre Dame offense, as they went on to outscore UNC 8-1 after Bolt’s grand slam in the second. 

Along with wind, spotty showers and uncharacteristic heat affected the series throughout the weekend.

“It was just crazy weather,” Fox said, “But the toughest thing was just how inconsistent the weather was.”

The weather was not all that would prove inconsistent.

A tough outing Sunday marked the culmination of inconsistent offensive and defensive play from inning to inning for the Tar Heels. The team, which has shown potential, was not able to put together a complete performance this weekend.

“That’s been the story for us all season,” Moss said. “We’ve shown flashes in each area. We just have to put each one together at the right time and at the same time.”

For Fox, consistent play is a key if the team wants a chance at hosting an NCAA tournament game.

If the team does put its offense and defense together, it may take a lot more than wind to slow down North Carolina.