Andrew Miller hits his stride as Yankees’ closer

Andrew Miller pitches against Seton Hall on February 19, 2006. Miller played for the UNC baseball team from 2004 to 2006.

During his junior year, Miller compiled a 13-2 record with a 2.48 ERA in 123.1 innings and won several national player of the year awards.

He would leave UNC as the program’s leader in strikeouts with 325, and looked to continue that success in the major leagues.

Nine years and four teams later, the Gainesville, Fla., native seems to have finally found his stride as the closer for the New York Yankees.

The journey to this point has been an arduous one — but one that Miller expected from the beginning.

“I think it’s reality. I think very few guys get the opportunity or the luxury to be in one place if you have a long career,” Miller said.

“I’ve been fortunate to be a part of some big organizations ... and I have been in good hands.”

Miller began his career like most professional baseball players in the minors, but just 10 days after making his debut for Class-A Lakeland, the 21-year-old was called up and made his major league debut against the New York Yankees.

In his rookie year, the lefty posted a 6.10 ERA in eight games. It wasn’t the start he had hoped for, but he was confident his best baseball was still ahead of him.

The next seven seasons saw Miller traded twice. He never found his groove in the starting rotation, but a new role as a reliever for the Boston Red Sox would revitalize his career.

After recovering from an injury in 2012, Boston moved Miller to the bullpen, where he posted a career-low 3.35 ERA in 53 appearances.

“I thought he really started to get going when he started working in the bullpen,” said Scott Forbes, UNC’s pitching coach. “He kind of found his niche there, and he was able to get on the mound more ... I think that helped him quite a bit.”

In 2014, Miller was traded again to the Baltimore Orioles, where he contributed to the team’s playoff success. After the season, Miller signed with the Yankees as a free agent, and by the end of the season’s first month, he had claimed the closing role.

“I didn’t come here looking for the title as closer or looking to collect saves or anything like that,” Miller said. “For me, it’s about how we can win the game.”

Miller has found himself as key part in Yankees wins this year. Before going on the disabled list on June 10, Miller was a perfect 17-for-17 in save situations.

And while Miller has had quite the busy schedule, UNC coach Mike Fox has made sure to keep in contact, letting Miller know that he is still a part of the North Carolina family.

“I try not to bother those guys ... but I let him know that I am proud of him and that we’re watching,” he said. “We do whatever we can here to let them know we’re still supporting them.”