Board of Visitors member plans $3 million legacy gift

Frank Moretz

Frank Moretz

Frank Moretz, who obtained both his undergraduate and medical degrees from UNC before completing his residency at the UNC School of Medicine, said that as a part of his retirement transition, he updated his estate planning to reflect his appreciation for UNC’s role in his personal and professional life.

Citing concerns over continued budget cuts to the UNC system and the potential effects of the athletic-academic scandal, Moretz hopes he can shed positive light on the impact that an education can have on lives.

“I thought this would be a good time to show my support and give back to the University that had given me so much,” Moretz said.

“It’s all about paying it forward for the next generation.”

Moretz admits that retirement has been a lot busier than expected, as he begins a four-year term with the UNC Board of Visitors in July.

The planned donation will be shared equally between the psychology department in the College of Arts and Sciences, the anesthesiology department at the UNC School of Medicine and the UNC School of Medicine’s Asheville campus.

Moretz has allowed the funds to be utilized at the discretion of each department head.

The anesthesiology department will create an endowment in Moretz’s name to enrich the education of graduate students.

“As far as anesthesiologists go, I want them to be leaders in their community,” Moretz said.

“I want us to train physicians to be physicians’ advocates rather than just practice medicine.”

A part of the contribution will also go toward the development of the Frank Hannon Moretz, M.D., Excellence Fund in the psychology department, said Donald Lysle, chairman of the department.

After two years at Emory University, where Moretz said he struggled academically and socially, Moretz transferred to UNC and found it to be a much better fit.

After years of struggling academically, Moretz sought help from UNC academic support and discovered he was dyslexic. From then on, he learned to cope with his reading disability.

“My reading comprehension increased, my grades improved greatly, and I started reading for pleasure for the first time in my life,” Moretz said.

Brianna Chicarelli, a junior psychology major, shares a similar appreciation for her experience at UNC and is grateful to alumni like Moretz who continue to support the University.

“UNC is known for our great accomplishments in medicine, and I think the more support we get, the more significant the research and findings can be,” Chicarelli said.

“I think it’s great that his donation will go toward a field that helps a lot of people,” she added.