UNC's accrediting agency, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, chose to place UNC on a one-year probation. The University maintains its accreditation during the probationary period. 

Institutions may spend no more than two years on probation before SACSCOC makes a final decision about their accreditation status. UNC has been under review for the past year, and SACSCOC chose to continue monitoring the University during the probationary period. 

In a written statement Thursday afternoon, Chancellor Carol Folt responded to the decision. 

In the message, Folt said the probationary period was being imposed in order to demonstrate the effectiveness of reforms already in place.

"The Commission’s decision is the next step — an expected consequence — in Carolina’s tireless efforts to ensure integrity in everything we do and that the past irregularities are not allowed to recur," Folt said in the statement.

Folt said the University learned of the commission's decision in a phone call and more details would be available once the University receives a letter from the commission in upcoming weeks detailing the commission's full findings.

She said the phone call made clear that the extension of the commission's review period was due to the seriousness and length of the academic irregularities at UNC.

In the statement, Folt said she wanted to emphasize that the University would not lose any federal funding because of the commission's findings.

"We have the utmost confidence in our present compliance and in the effectiveness of the many reforms implemented in recent years and will embrace the opportunity during the one-year period of probation to prove that even further," Folt said.