Honored N.C. poets lead Flyleaf open mic

Combined, poets Betty Adcock and David Treadway Manning have won Pushcart prizes, a spot in the N.C. Literary Hall of Fame and the N.C. Poetry Society's Poet Laureate Award. And on tonight, they’ll be coming to Flyleaf Books to share their knowledge with the community. 

Adcock and Manning will be featured at Flyleaf Book's “Second Thursday Poetry Reading and Open Mic.” 

Adcock and Manning participate in poetry readings and open mics from time to time, though both admit that speaking in front of an audience can get nerve-wracking. However, both poets agreed that getting out in the community and sharing your own work is the best way to connect with other authors and poets alike.

“I think it’s good for aspiring poets to come and hear poetry,” said Adcock.

By featuring two well-known poets with different styles and audiences, Flyleaf hopes to engage the local poetry community. Travis Smith, marketing coordinator at Flyleaf, said having two well-decorated poets accessible to the local community for the evening is exciting. 

"One of the biggest values of a bookstore and what it can do is not only provide books but to also bring in authors and books and events to get people into the stores," said Smith.

According to Smith, Manning is a well-known local poet and was heavily involved in the N.C. Poetry Society beginning in the early 1980s. A dedicated community builder in the poetry community, Manning is also well-liked and respected throughout Chapel Hill and surrounding areas. With his cousin, mother and aunt all involved in poetry writing, Manning also attributes his interest in poetry to a genetic predisposition. 

While Manning has been around poetry for a while, he’s excited to read his poetry alongside a major N.C. poet.

“One of the nice things about this coming up Thursday is that I’m reading with Betty Adcock,” he said. "Flyleaf is really excellent, and the encouragement I’ve gotten there from staff has been great."

This won’t be either of the poets’ first times reading at Flyleaf. Manning is returning to Flyleaf for his third poetry reading, and Adcock, who previously performed at Flyleaf with a few of her former students, will return to read from her latest book, "Widow Poems." 

Described by Smith as a “shining star,” Adcock has been awarded several prizes and honors including two Pushcart prizes; Pushcart is also known as the “best of the small presses” series and aims to highlight writers of short stories, poetry and essays throughout its collection each year. 

With an informal open mic format, anybody, including aspiring poets, can come hear these featured poets and also share their own work with the audience. These open mic nights are organized by Flyleaf volunteers Stan Absher and Pam Baggett. 

Smith also said that as far as their regular events go, the Second Thursday event is a popular one — Smith said Second Thursday open mics have been held and attended on a regular basis since their inception in March 2010.