Local resident raises money for burn center

Kim Anderson is putting on a music show Saturday to raise money for the Jaycee Burn Center.

Anderson received third-degree burns to over 50 percent of his body as well as heat-induced injuries to his lungs. He was immediately rushed to the N.C. Jaycee Burn Center at UNC Hospitals.

Now, five years later, he and his family are hosting their annual benefit concert, “Healin’ with a Feelin’ – A Night of Burnin’ Love,” at Cat’s Cradle Saturday.

Anderson had the idea in 2010. During his four-and-a-half month treatment, Anderson said he realized how fortunate he was.

“(My wife Stephanie and I) had health insurance, and we noticed that other people didn’t,” he said. “We realized that a lot of those people didn’t have the resources while they were in the hospital, so they certainly didn’t have them when they were out.”

A suggested donation of $15 at the door from each audience member and money from a silent auction before the show goes directly to the burn center; other donations made to the UNC Medical Foundation can also contribute to the burn center’s cause.

Anita Fields, Jaycee Burn Center outpatient care manager, helps decide what the donations are spent on. She said that because aftercare is particularly important to Anderson, a lot of the money from the benefit goes to products like sun hats and sunscreen for survivors.

“Aftercare isn’t just what survivors get when they leave the hospital; it also focuses on the emotional and psychosocial elements of a burn injury,” she said. “It’s a traumatic thing that happens to the whole family, not just the patient.”

Fields also said that aftercare is not something provided by the hospital, so donations received from events like the benefit concert are significantly helpful.

Anderson said that music had always been a large part of his life. He knew several musicians in the area whom he asked to play at the concert.

Three Durham-based bands are returning to perform the benefit concert this weekend — Rebecca & the Hi-Tones, The BilliTones and the Willie Painter Band. The Claptones, also from Durham, are a new group added to this year’s lineup.

Rebecca Newton of Rebecca & the Hi-Tones specifically has a long standing bond with Anderson — she said they met on Duke University’s quad in 1969.

They stayed close over the years; so close that Newton’s band played at Anderson’s wedding 26 years ago.

Naturally, when Anderson reached out to Newton, she knew she would play.

“As he recovered, he and Steph wrote to a bunch of us who have all been friends since the ’70s and ’80s,” she said. “We all said, ‘Yeah, we’re happy to do that.’”

Cat’s Cradle owner Frank Heath wants to promote benefit nights at his venue.

“We’ve always felt that when someone is trying to do something to give back to the community, we want to do what we can to assist those who are already doing a lot of heavy lifting,” Heath said in an email.

Rebecca also said one of the best parts of playing this show every year is playing with the people she’s known for over 30 years.

“What makes it special is not only doing this for a great friend and a great cause,” she said. “Playing with these people ... there’s nothing like it.”