Future hazy for driver’s education in schools

But funding for driver’s education classes across the state has been put on hold as legislators in Raleigh go back and forth over the state’s budget, forcing school districts to make decisions about funding the courses.

Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools are continuing to run their driver’s education courses through the summer, said Todd LoFrese, a spokesman for the district.

“The temporary budget plan requires we provide driver’s education,” he said.

Some driver’s education instructors are nervous about their courses’ futures.

“We have eight classrooms and behind-the-wheel instructors, and currently we are still working and anxiously awaiting the financial ruling for the district,” said Barbara Garmon, a driving instructor with Jordan Driving School, which provides courses to students in the district.

There are 228 students enrolled in courses this summer, and LoFrese estimates that about 900 students take the course in a typical year.

LoFrese said CHCCS doesn’t currently charge its students to take the course, but that could change.

“If we don’t receive any funding from the state, then we would recommend to the board charging a fee up to that permissible by law. Under current state law, we’re allowed to charge up to $65,” he said.

It costs the district about $215 per student to offer driver’s education, so the maximum chargeable amount might go up if the state decides not to fund driver’s education at all, LoFrese said.

Garmon said she worries implementing a fee will drop enrollment in driver’s education courses, which could result in consequences for all drivers.

“It may mean many of the students will forego any formal driving instruction and wait until they are 18 and then go for their license,” she said.

Alexis Malaguti, an 11th-grade student at Chapel Hill High School who completed the driver’s education course in May, said she does not think the program is vital for all students.

“I think it depends on who you are,” she said. “If you’re someone who lives really close to a high school and you don’t go out very often, it’s not that important. I know my brother didn’t get his license until he was 18. So I don’t think it’s mandatory, but it’s a good thing to have as an option.”

Garmon said she is also concerned about the cost excluding students who can’t afford to take the classes.

“Unfortunately, it may be the haves and the have-nots: an economic divide,” she said.

LoFrese said he would recommend giving waivers to students who are eligible for free and reduced lunch to combat the issue.

“It’s in everyone’s best interest that when people start driving they be trained properly,” he said.