Group pushes for recognition of Hindu holiday in schools

Being one of the biggest Hindu holidays that is also celebrated by Sikhs and Jains — as well as some Buddhists — Rajan Zed, president of the society, said the main part of the celebration — the third night — should be a time families have together.

“Hinduism is rich in festivals, and religious festivals are very dear and sacred to Hindus,” Zed said in an emailed statement.

“Awareness about other religions thus created by such holidays like Diwali would make the North Carolina pupils well-nurtured, well-balanced and enlightened citizens of tomorrow.”

UNC religious studies professor Barbara Ambros said in an email that many schools already have policies allowing a degree of recognition for non-Christian religious holidays.

University policy allows for students to miss two days of class for religious observances during the school year.

A similar policy exists in North Carolina public schools at the secondary and elementary levels where the student is allowed to make up missed tests and assignments.

“Hindu students would be excused to stay home for Diwali and miss classes that day,” Ambros said.

Diwali falls before the new moon in the month of Ashwin. The third night is when families gather for a prayer to the goddess Lakshmi, feasts and fireworks.

Celebrating the festival is typically focused on the third night for Hindus in America because the full five-day festival can not be observed due to work and school schedules.

“The inherent issue is that not every one of our neighbors is Hindu or even Indian,” UNC junior Deekshita Ramanarayanan said in an email.

She said she believes having Diwali as a school holiday would help non-Hindus become aware of the history and traditions behind it but does not imagine a day off from school would have significantly altered how her family celebrated.

“We would probably all gather for a potluck lunch or something of the sort, but we do that anyway during the weekend following Diwali night,” she said in the email.

Ramanarayanan said that in India and other places with large Hindu populations, the community gathers to light fireworks.

In America, families go to a local temple or gather with family friends.

“Traditionally in India, you would have a Halloween-like afternoon where you would go around to the houses in the neighborhood and eat sweets from everyone’s houses,” Ramanarayanan said.

“Then in the evening, we light lamps and place them all over the entrance to the house and perform rituals to welcome Lakshmi, the goddess of wealth and prosperity, into our home.”

The light of the lamps is a metaphor for knowledge and consciousness succeeding in its battle against ignorance. It is a positive celebration for which Zed said students should not be penalized for missing school.

“Closing schools on Diwali would ensure that, and it would be a step in the right direction,” he said.