UNC has received a letter from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, known as SACSCOC, about the commission's decision to place UNC on a one-year probation before making a final decision about UNC's accreditation.

The letter details the commission's full findings. 

In a statement, UNC spokesman Rick White said UNC is reviewing the letter and will release it online next week after Chancellor Carol Folt and Provost Jim Dean have an in-person conversation with the leadership of SACSCOC.

There is a two-year limit on how long an institution can be placed under review before SACSCOC makes a judgment about the institution's accreditation status. UNC has been under review for the past year, and SACSCOC chose to extend the monitoring period at a board meeting last month.

In November, after the release of the Wainstein report, SACSCOC cited the University for failing to comply with 18 accreditation standards. The University responded to SACSCOC in January with a case for maintaining its accreditation in a 223-page report.

At last month's meeting, the SACSCOC board accepted UNC's response for 11 of the accreditation standards. For the other seven standards, the board requested more substantial responses or better proof of the success of some reforms over time.

In an interview with The Daily Tar Heel last month, SACSCOC president Belle Wheelan said she was pleased with the response from UNC's leadership.

“So far (the administration) has been very cooperative, and the board took that into consideration when they put them on sanction," Wheelan said. "They felt that this was something that the current administration inherited and that they had jumped right out there and done what they could to make it right.”

UNC maintains its accreditation while it is under review.