Burmese refugees find ties to home

“In America, we have more freedom and more opportunities to do things,” said Tow, a cook and farmer.

Transplanting Traditions is bridging the gap between Southeast Asia and Chapel Hill by teaching sustainable farming techniques to Burmese refugees.

Transplanting Traditions partnered with Triangle Land Conservancy to present the Conservation for All Farm Tour last night. Partnerships also included the Conservation Trust for North Carolina and Orange County Partnership for Young Children.

The Republic of the Union of Myanmar, known as Burma, relies on agriculture — which is why Transplanting Traditions offers refugees marketing, agricultural and educational support.

“When they came to the U.S., a lot of them were interested in farming,” said Kelly Owensby, project director for Transplanting Traditions.

In 2007, TLC acquired 269 acres of land. Transplanting Traditions expanded from their community garden in 2010, partnering with TLC to provide refugees with opportunities to grow and sell their harvest.

“We’ve been providing the land for several years now, and we will continue to in the future,” said Diana Hackenburg, communications manager for TLC.

Locals were able to tour farmers’ personal plots, which were bursting with greenery as aromas of traditional Burmese dishes scented the fields.

“Land is one thing that connects us all, different age groups and cultures, and it will be a beautiful thing to see that it is this land that brings us together,” said Melanie Allen, conservation and diversity director for the Conservation Trust.

Owensby said some of the refugees work for UNC as housekeepers or with dining services while also maintaining their plot of land at the farm.

But Owensby said some farmers do not return because they are unable to commute to the farm. “Some refugees have never driven a car before or are too scared to get their license,” she said.

Joe Aye, a 17-year-old refugee, said he has come to appreciate farming.

“Usually in the mornings I’m grumpy, but with more time, I think I could get used to this,” he said.

Despite all Transplanting Traditions does to educate, Owensby said she is constantly inspired by the determination and resilience of the refugees on the farm.

“They have had very difficult situations. They have fled from their home villages, lived in refugee camps for many years and now they’re in the US and they’ve had to relearn everything,” she said.

“They are an incredible group that I am very lucky to spend time with and learn from.”

@kianamcole