Chapel Hill Town Council Member arrested for DWI

At around 1:20 a.m. Wednesday morning, Storrow was pulled over for speeding at the intersection of Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and Municipal Drive, reports state.

While Storrow was pulled over, the officer suspected that he was under the influence of alcohol. The arrest report states Storrow was arrested and taken back to the police station. His car was secured and left at the scene.

When he willingly submitted a breath sample, Storrow blew a .16, which is twice the legal limit in North Carolina. At 3:30 a.m., he was released on a written promise to appear in court, according to the arrest record.

“I’m deeply sorry for my actions,” Storrow said in a statement.

“I let myself, my supporters and my community down. This has brought into clear focus that I’m not only an elected official but a role model, and I take that responsibility more seriously now. I’m committed to making better decisions going forward.”

Storrow was elected to the Chapel Hill Town Council in 2011 and graduated from UNC that same year with a political science degree.

In March, he announced his intent to run for re-election in November and officially filed for re-election on July 9, according to a tweet from his account posted that day.

Lt. Josh Mecimore, spokesman for the Chapel Hill Police Department, confirmed the arrest report for Lee Walkup Storrow. Mecimore said Storrow will have his first appearance in court on Sept. 3, when he will announce his plea to the misdemeanor charges.

Mayor Mark Kleinschmidt did not respond to phone calls by The Daily Tar Heel’s press time.

@erin_kolstadcity@dailytarheel.com