Column: Our very own sports editor peers into the future of UNC football

Bold predictions and college football go together like peanut butter and jelly. You can’t have one without the other.

So with North Carolina set to open the 2015 season in just over a week against South Carolina, I decided to make my own bold predictions.

1. UNC quarterback Marquise Williams will lead the ACC in passing yards this season. A year ago, the senior threw for 3,068 yards en route to finishing third in the conference in that category.

The UNC receiving corps features three starters who are 6-foot-4 or taller: Mack Hollins, Bug Howard and Quinshad Davis. That doesn’t include junior Ryan Switzer, who led the team in catches and receiving yards in 2014.

With confidence in his targets as well as a focus on running less this season, Williams could set the pace at the quarterback position.

2. The Tar Heels’ emphasis on Williams taking fewer rushing attempts coincides with the team’s desire to get its running backs more involved. The biggest beneficiary of this philosophy will be halfback Elijah Hood, who will lead the team in carries and rushing yards.

Coaches and players have raved about Hood’s progression this offseason, and the sophomore running back is expected to be the starter for the South Carolina game.

3. On the other side of the ball, sophomore Nazair Jones will lead the charge on the defensive line, finishing with more than five sacks and 10-plus tackles for loss.

In limited playing time in 2014, Jones showed a high motor and led the Tar Heels with 7.5 tackles for loss. He has been seeing first-team snaps so far in practice.

4. After an abysmal 2014 season, the UNC secondary will bounce back this year and finish in the top half of the NCAA in passing yards allowed per game.

A poor start in 2014 mostly accounted for the Tar Heels’ average of 257.4 passing yards allowed per game, as UNC didn’t allow more than 300 yards passing in its final seven games.

5. Last but not least, the Tar Heels will be bowl-eligible by the end of October.

The first half of UNC’s schedule is much weaker than the second half and features home non-conference games against North Carolina A&T, Illinois and Delaware.

With wins against all three of those opponents as well as Wake Forest and Virginia, I see the Tar Heels getting at least one win against South Carolina, Georgia Tech or Pittsburgh to earn their third-straight trip to a bowl game.