Country Night moseys from Deep End to Country Fried Duck

Deep-end

Deep End, the tried and true home of 25 cent beers and no windows, closed down at 201 E. Franklin St. this spring after a run of more than 10 years. The bar was home to Country Night — a raucous weekly event characterized by its cheap beer and enthusiastic crowds.

The mantle has been taken up by Country Fried Duck, located at 157 E. Rosemary St., which opened in June with its own version of Country Night. But there has been a bit of a price increase — beers are now a dollar.

Co-owner Scott Kleczkowski said the bar has been very successful so far.

“I think it’s fun and everyone enjoys it,” he said.

Kleczkowski said he sees their Country Night not as an evolution of Deep End’s version, but as a new spin on the concept completely. To reinforce that idea, Kleczkowski said he hopes to bring out the mechanical bull as soon as possible, pending county approval.

Unlike Deep End, Country Fried Duck is exclusively 21 or older. Kleczkowski referenced the deadly accident this summer involving an underage UNC student as well as the so-called “powers that be” in making that decision.

Junior psychology major Jene Ward was full of praise for the newcomer, mentioning the welcoming atmosphere and complementing the staff.

“It’s perfect if you love country music,” she said. “Overall, a true country bar experience.”

In comparing it to Deep End, Ward said Country Fried Duck was more open and true to a country bar.

“Line dancing is something everyone should experience,” she said.

In addition to Country Night, Country Fried Duck holds Heel Yeah Thursdays with two-dollar wells and live radio broadcasts every Friday Night featuring a 93.9 host. 93.9 WNCB is now Carolina’s New Country station—a fitting choice for the bar.

The bar is in the space previously occupied by The Heel and The Thrill. The space is owned by Paliouras Enterprises, which also owns the space that Deep End occupied; they are currently in the process of finding a new tenant.

Jim Paliouras, who manages the spaces, said there has been interest in taking over Deep End’s former location, but nothing is concrete yet.

The space has had eight tenants since 1995 with Deep End holding the longest tenure. Paliouras said he did not know exactly what type of business would take over the spot — whether it be a bar, a restaurant or retail.

His only requirement is that he’d like for the new tenant to be compatible with Time-Out upstairs, the venerable provider of comfort food and home of many an inebriated Tar Heel.

“We like diversity and the location is such that obviously we want to get someone there who will hopefully do very well,” Paliouras said.

For now, Country Night will live on. Country Fried Duck is here to take up the duty.

“We’re excited to be here and looking forward to the school year,” Kleczkowski said.

@ahalev