Letter: DTH article’s statistics were highly suspect

I was very disappointed in your recent improper use of statistics and the presentation of all relevant factual information concerning the relationship between the death penalty and the race of the perpetrator. Your article highlights a 6.2 percent range difference between the death penalty sentencing when the race of the victim is examined, yet readers are left to wonder if this is truly statistically significant.

A statistical test, error bars, or a sample size would have been highly helpful. A 6.2 percent difference hardly seems to be dramatic as Frank Baumgartner asserts.

Additionally, it would have been helpful to inform readers that while it’s true whites only account for 43 percent of the death row population, they also account for fewer murder offenders.

To truly address and begin to resolve racial disparities, we need a full, unfiltered picture with all the relevant statistics.

Moreover, please have your staff consult your mathematical and statistically minded peers before you print stories such as this. You only muddy the waters of race relations through presentation of improper statistics. On a side note, I, personally, do not believe in putting anyone to death, regardless of their race or the race of their victim.

Lance Jubic

Graduate student

Biological and 
biomedical sciences