Facebook wizard helps younger students

Murphy Liu poses for picture during an interview with Karli Krasnipol at Alpine Bagel. Liu has answered questions posted by other students on facebook.

Liu, a mathematical decision sciences and anthropology double major, has been answering younger students’ questions on class Facebook pages for years.

“I did a program called Summer Bridge, which is where high schoolers do summer school here during second summer session,” Liu said.

Since that summer, Liu has become very popular on the UNC Class of 2018 and 2019 Facebook pages.

Sophomore Michael McGowan is one of the many students Liu helped to understand the ins and outs of the University.

“It’s super impressive that he knows all that’s going on, where it’s happening, when it’s happening — but also that he just knows what to do in every situation. And he’s a super personable guy, too,” McGowan said. “So he’s always just willing to help even with the dumbest questions.”

Sophomore Barbara Cronin also said Liu was helpful in her first year at UNC.

“Last year, when I was trying to fill out my shopping cart, I didn’t realize what to do, so I sent him a personal message on Facebook,” Cronin said.

Cronin said that Liu got back to her quickly and that his advice helped her a lot.

Liu said he felt confused during his first year, even after orientation.

“I thought I could help these people coming in and answer their questions so they know what to expect when they come to college,” he said.

Though he spends a lot of time on Facebook, Liu does much more than that at UNC.

“I’ve tried almost everything at this campus,” he said.

With Carolina United, hospital cancer research, Carolina For the Kids, UNC Sexuality and Gender Alliance, and Alpha Sigma Phi fraternity, Liu is heavily involved in student life.

Liu said he has received plenty of questions he was not prepared for.

“Once a girl asked me to explain to her where mail comes,” he said. “Then she asked me what happens if she orders pizza — like, where would it go?”

Although Liu often seems like a campus celebrity — apparent when students ask him to sign bananas and even minifridges — McGowan said he is just another student interested in helping others.

“He’s a super nice guy, and I was able to ask him a bunch of questions about what freshman year would look like, what classes would look like, just because, like every other freshman coming in, I was nervous,” McGowan said.

McGowan and many others said Liu is a UNC treasure.

“He does it with such grace and expects nothing in return, to be honest. He just likes helping people.”