UNC delays graduate assistants’ health insurance

Blue Cross and Blue Shield ends coverage each year on July 31. The next cycle of coverage begins Aug. 1, but students have reported difficulty using their insurance.

“Students are legally covered by insurance because the start date is Aug. 1,” Brandon Linz, president of the Graduate and Professional Student Federation said. “But because they are not officially enrolled in the insurance, they have to pay out of pocket, and get reimbursed by Blue Cross Blue Shield.”

Linz said that this issue has been happening for several years and when the same thing happened in the 2014-15 coverage year, the reimbursement process took three to six months.

“If you have several thousand dollars of medical bills on a TA stipend — and you live at the poverty line — that’s impossible to do,” Linz said.

There were 3,259 research and teaching assistants with an additional 153 dependents enrolled in the Graduate Student Health Insurance Program last year, according to an email from Kenneth Pittman, chief operating and financial officer for Campus Health Services. The program is separate from the insurance used by other graduate students and undergraduates.

As of August 19, 2,400 graduate assistants have been enrolled in the 2015-16 plan, wrote Pittman.

Linz said there is an emergency fund to cover medical expenses, but it is rapidly depleting and communication from the University on the matter has been limited.

“We received one notification after the information I sent out to the student body, and it essentially was a reiteration of that,” Linz said. “We have no interaction with Blue Cross Blue Shield other than as a provider.”

Both Pittman and Linz met with University departments to discuss possible changes to the program next year in early August. Linz said the University might push back the pre-enrollment deadline to July 15 next school year to give more time to enroll students by August 1, 2016.

The University has not said when all students will be enrolled or receive their insurance cards.

Like Linz, research assistant Michael Meers contacted the University in early August. He has a pre-existing health condition that requires him to make regular clinic visits. He paid $80 in out-of-pocket expenses for doctors’ visits this month and has postponed doctors’ visits because he can’t afford to pay.

He said he has not received his insurance card yet or a response to his email sent to the University.

“It’s just a weird gray area in which it didn’t directly financially impact me enough where it really caused hardship,” Meers said. “But it’s a little galling that we shouldn’t be able to rely on it consistently.”

“And if we can’t rely on it consistently, then we should get an explanation.”

@deboristaa