Letter: ​Editorial mistaken about Hatchell

CLARIFICATION: Due to an editing error, a previous version of this letter incorrectly spelled out an acronym. "AD" was meant to stand for athletic director. The letter has been updated to reflect this change.

As a women’s basketball season ticketholder, a faculty member and a female, I felt compelled to respond to the misleading Daily Tar Heel editorial from Thursday on the women’s basketball situation.

When I read the Wainstein report, it was clear to me that women’s basketball was in the worst position of all of the sports. The documented actions of Jan Boxill were especially damning because she was also a faculty member.

It was not surprising that the NCAA notice of allegations called out women’s basketball and Boxill’s impermissible academic assistance separately in allegation two.

Many recent articles and letters have touted claims that women’s basketball is being offered up as the sacrificial lamb in our scandal to save the revenue sports.

The sole evidence appears to be that Coach Sylvia Hatchell, under contract through 2018, did not have her contract extended this past year like Coach Roy Williams.

I suspect our athletic director's top priority for women’s basketball has been defending the program against allegation two in order to minimize potential sanctions that could impact current student-athletes.

By all reports, Coach Hatchell is upbeat about this year’s team and the future of her program, with several recent commitments of future players. 

If anyone can fight through the adversity of an extremely short bench created by player departures, it is Hall of Fame Coach Hatchell. I’m looking forward to watching a young, inexperienced team grow up this season.

As to the bigger issue of which heads should roll in our scandal, it is important to keep in mind that no one in the athletics department has the authority to create classes or the oversight responsibility to ensure that our academic offerings are conducted with integrity. It is not unreasonable for any coach to have trusted that all our courses offered legitimate instruction overseen by faculty.

Prof. Cindy Schauer

Chemistry