Letter: ​Trigger warnings are compassionate

The August 28th letter “Life does not contain any trigger warnings” demonstrates the combination of ignorance and victim blaming that often comes with debates about trigger warnings.

The pseudo-realist argument goes that trigger warnings give students an excuse to disengage from challenging material because of their “self-inflicted ignorance and fear.” This argument ignores both the utility of trigger warnings and the harsh realities that make them necessary.

Trigger warnings do not exist because of anything self-inflicted. They are not used to flag material because it is challenging. They are used to warn students that the material being covered could remind them of traumatizing experiences they have had with things like sexual assault, racial violence, and countless other problems.

Being exposed to such material without warning can lead to panic attacks and other painful reactions. It is these unexpected reactions that prevent students from engaging with material, not trigger warnings. Trigger warnings give students the opportunity to take steps to safely and productively engage with the course in question. They can take time to prepare, allot time for self-care or meet with the professor — who they now know is sensitive to the impact their instruction can have.

Anyone who claims to understand the realities of the world or to care about engagement with difficult material should support the use of trigger warnings. Statements to the contrary ignore reality and demonstrate a lack of genuine interest in student engagement.

Zach Padgett

Senior