Opinion: Hooker Fields needs to create a physical schedule.

UNC students are incredibly privileged to enjoy the sports and recreation facilities provided by our University.

Well-maintained gyms, weight rooms and outdoor fields are available at accommodating hours — not to mention they don’t require any out-of-pocket expenses for students to access.

However, for the University to realize continual self-improvement, the managers of these facilities must look to the details of the average UNC student’s experience.

One such detail is the issue of accessibility and efficiency regarding Hooker Fields. Any student or community member who has frequented the fields is probably well aware of the pandemonium that sometimes descends upon Hooker.

There is a simple solution — a physical posting area for students to reserve field time. This would be similar to the clipboard sign-in system in Rams Head Recreation Center.

Chapel Hill students and community members would be well served by an efficient, wireless method of allowing Hooker-users to visualize planned events for the fields.

For instance, Hooker Fields employees might use a large, stand-alone dry-erase board to present the day’s reservations.

Currently reservations are primarily used for tryouts and practices for both intramural and club-level sports teams, or basically any university group or activity that requires prior field reservations.

For those that seek to use Hooker Fields for simple pick-up games of soccer, football, ultimate, etc., they often do so, more or less, on a whim. By definition, “pick-up” games are not planned prior.

The resulting situation is this: would-be pick-up players sometimes find Hooker Fields to be too full to enjoy.

The would-be players then must decide if they should seek to scrounge a corner of a field for playing space, negotiate with those already using the space or simply wait and hope for space to become available.

These people would benefit more by a large, accessible schedule of the day’s field reservations to be informed on available space upon entry.

Such a board could be updated daily and would require minimal attention or upkeep. Whatever the method, wireless accessibility is a priority. A website currently exists with such information, but it is not easily accessible unless you happened to bring your laptop in your gym bag.

Though this is an exceedingly minimal problem, easy, wireless access to field reservation information would benefit all those who enjoy Hooker Fields and those who seek to improve upon an already great experience.