Process Series transforms audience into critics, performance into practice

ARTVSM, which combines art and activism, performed

Practice makes perfect.

The Process Series is allowing audience members to assume the role of the critic in its eighth, five-part season. After each performance, the new and developing artists receive feedback through discussion or written evaluation. These pieces give the audience a chance to see an artist’s work in progress, a rarity in a world where shows are expected to be polished. 

This year, there will be five main performances, in partnership with the Institute for the Arts and Humanities. 

The first of these performances is "Lamentation Variation Project," shown on Sept. 25 and 26, a choreography project created by UNC students. 

Students of dance professor Heather Tatreau viewed influential modern dancer Martha Graham’s definitive “Lamentation” and translated their own experiences with grief into dance. A spring semester first-year seminar class also participated, expressing grief through forms like writing, photography and the visual arts. These formats were blended into one show, an intense and exciting multimedia project. 

“This is the first time it's going to be a student dance performance, and I’m grateful to be part of it," said Allison Newton, a senior dancer and choreographer. 

Sophomore dancer Bronwyn Bishop described the emotional investment of the performance. 

“It means something that you put your heart in it,” she said. 

The second performance, “And So We Walked,” is written and performed by DeLanna Studi, and directed by Corey Madden. For the November show, Studi embarked on a journey with her father to interview Cherokee in different communities about their experience with the Trail of Tears. 

“It’s an evocative piece about what it means to be a Native American and the resonance of history today,” said Joseph Megel, the Process Series’ artistic director. 

On Feb. 19 and 20, Anne Garcia Romero’s new play, “Mary Domingo,” will debut. Based on the story of playwright Mary Peabody Mann, a strong female character who struggles to stand up to the men in her life, "Mary Domingo" explores gender equality and offers a woman’s cultural perspective. 

Music professors Lee Weisert and Matthew McClure will showcase original compositions for "The Lowest Form of Poetry," the fourth performance, which features dance by COMPANY. Lights, music, lasers and human bodies blend together to create this experience. 

“The piece looks at movement and technology and how we create meaning from those things,” Megel said. 

The final piece, “Help Me to Find My People,” is a play created by Nikkole Salter and will debut on April 7. The play tells the story of African-American families seeking information on each other after the Emancipation Proclamation. 

“I feel like there are very important voices talking about how to create an impact in a culture that may not be listening to the voices that are always speaking,” Megel said.

While the shows in the series are different, Tatreau said she appreciated the end goal — to benefit the artist. 

"It shows the artistic process and leaves it open to what the audience says about the work, which I think is important for performers.”