Sophomore linebacker Cayson Collins makes his case for a starting position

Elijah Hood runs down the field during a practice pass play.

After a forced fumble against Miami on Nov. 1, Collins scooped up the loose ball just as it squirted from the pile and raced 39 yards for a touchdown. That play was the highlight of Collins’ freshman season that saw him finish with 36 tackles.

“Coming out of high school into college football, you think everyone’s stronger, faster, more physical,” Collins said. “But playing last year showed me that I could actually play with these guys.”

Now, with 17 days until the Tar Heels’ season opener against South Carolina, the sophomore from Charlotte is battling with junior linebacker Joe Jackson for the final starting outside linebacker position. After practice, Collins turns to roommate and senior linebacker Jeff Schoettmer to see how he can help his chances.

“He’s always willing to learn; he’s asking me questions every time we go back to the hotel,” Schoettmer said. “He wants to get better. He’s not satisfied with where he is.”

As a freshman, the complicated defensive scheme took a while for Collins to master, and he started slowly with only six tackles in the first seven games. This year, he sees himself fitting in well with new defensive coordinator Gene Chizik and his 4-3 scheme designed to funnel plays to the linebackers.

“Our jobs are a lot more defined. We’re more task oriented,” Collins said. “I think that’s helped me a lot learning what I’m supposed to do, what I have to take care of on the field. I prefer this scheme to what we had last year.”

Chizik’s teaching style has also been helpful for Collins and the other young defensive players expected to play for UNC this season.

“Sometimes those guys don’t fully get it until you get into the season, and that becomes the mental part of the game, which as we all know is a very critical piece of the puzzle,” Chizik said.

“I think what’s happening now as this thing evolves is they start getting used to the speed of the game and the way it really is in college.”

Entering his second year, Collins already sees a drastic difference with the coaches.

“(They) have a lot of fun teaching it, and we have a lot of fun learning it and playing it and executing it,” Collins said.

Once again, Collins is positioned to make the most of an opportunity — and he knows it. Because of a toe injury to Jackson, Collins has been playing with the starters in recent practices.

When asked if he’s going to hold on to that position, Collins can’t help but grin.

“I think that it’s going to be a hard decision for the coaches to make.”

@loganulrich