Student theater gears up for fall seasons

Student theater participants and enthusiasts alike will have plenty to keep them busy this semester. LAB! Theatre, Company Carolina and Pauper Players all have released their fall lineups and are currently preparing for auditions.  

LAB!

LAB! has a mix of shows and events to keep students entertained this fall.

“We like to do things that push the boundaries of what people understand as traditional theater,” said student director Griffin Gast, who is a junior dramatic art and history major from Cary.

The company’s season starts off with “Bushwick,” which was written by UNC grad student Scooter Mastain. The play features five young friends in Brooklyn looking for a roommate. 

“I want this to be a slice of life,” Gast said.

The show will run Oct. 2 to 4 in the Center for Dramatic Art.

Other LAB! shows this season include “War of the Worlds” (Nov. 6 to 8) and “Lungs” (Nov. 20 to 23).

Outside of traditional theater, LAB! will offer other events this semester, including a 24-hour play festival, in which a play is written, directed and performed in one day, and “30 Plays in 60 Minutes.”

Company Carolina

Company Carolina is bringing a mix of traditional and satire to the stage this semester.

"All in the Timing"

The season starts off humorously with David Ives’ “All in the Timing.” The series of six one-act comedies will be directed by Noelle Wilson, a senior journalism and political science major from Cornelius. 

Although each play has a different storyline, all revolve around a similar theme. 

“They’re sort of ridiculous plots, but they’re all rooted in everyday situations,” Wilson said. “They’re contemplative of life and timing and how you have to hit things at the right time.”

But Wilson wants the audience to have fun with the play as well. “If people leave and had a good time and laughed a lot, I would be happy with that.”

The show will run Oct. 2 to 4 at the West End Theater in the Carrboro ArtsCenter. 

"Violet"

Next is the musical “Violet,” which will be co-directed by Greg Kable, a professor in the Department of Dramatic Art, and Emily McGregor, a sophomore dramatic art major. Kable has been waiting to bring "Violet" back to Chapel Hill since 1999, when the show’s regional premiere was held in PlayMakers Theatre.

“Violet” follows a young woman from North Carolina traveling to Oklahoma in the early 1960s. Along the way, she meets two soldiers, one black and one white. Throughout the show, the characters try to find their place in a tumultuous society in the midst of civil rights issues and the Vietnam War.

“It’s a beautiful piece about physical journeys embodying something about an inner journey,” said Kable.

The show has musical genres for all tastes, featuring songs from gospel blues to Broadway pop.

The show runs Oct. 9 to 11 at the Historic PlayMakers Theatre. 

"Company"

The final show of the season is another musical, "Company,” that features slightly older characters.

The show is co-directed by Mary Greene, a senior dramatic art and linguistic major from Marion, and Matt Herman, a junior environmental science major from Bessemer City.

Greene said Stephen Sondheim’s show is a classic. 

“His works can be difficult to learn, but they’re so satisfying," she said.

“Company” follows a man named Bobby through a series of girlfriends and interactions with his married friends.

Although the average undergraduate may not relate to his exact situation, there are broader themes Greene said students can connect to. 

“There’s a sense of finding your own path and knowing what’s right for you, questioning and developing yourself," she said.

The show runs Nov. 13 to 15 at the ArtsCenter in Carrboro. 

Pauper Players

For the 40th anniversary of internationally known musical, “A Chorus Line,” Pauper Players borrowed the director from another UNC-system school. The show will be directed by Jackson Cooper, a UNC-Greensboro senior from Raleigh studying theater and business.

It’s uncommon to hire outside of Chapel Hill, but Cooper was eager to direct the classic show. 

“’A Chorus Line’ was the first time for me where I realized these shows are more than just musical theater,” he said. 

The musical sends a message that spans far beyond show business. 

“It’s about show business, but it’s also about being on a line and being completely naked, emotionally," Cooper said. "We can all relate to putting yourself out there. That’s why it will appeal to the science major as much as the dance major.”

The show runs Nov. 13 to 17 in PlayMakers Theatre.