UNC field hockey beats Old Dominion 5-1 in final scrimmage before regular season

The North Carolina field hockey team might have been playing in a scrimmage on Saturday at Henry Stadium, but the Tar Heels played with midseason intensity in a 5-1 victory over Old Dominion.

UNC recorded the first shot of the game on a goal by senior midfielder Casey Di Nardo 13 minutes in. The Tar Heels utilized their high-octane attack to tally eight shots and to pressure the ODU defense in the first half. 

Meanwhile, UNC goalkeeper Shannon Johnson continued the Tar Heels' dominant start by keeping the Monarchs off the board early.

Di Nardo’s goal proved to be all UNC could muster in the opening period, but the Tar Heel attack came out strong in the second half.

Sophomore forward Gab Major began the UNC barrage, scoring less than four minutes into the second half. But less than three minutes later, an ODU goal cut the Tar Heels' lead to 2-1. 

Sophomore midfielder Sam Night pushed the UNC lead to two with a goal moments later before Major scored her second goal with just under 15 minutes left in the game.

To cap the scoring, senior midfielder Emily Wold found senior midfielder Nina Notman on a penalty corner en route to sealing the win for the Tar Heels.

Quotable 

“Today was a great contest. We accomplished what we wanted to accomplish. I thought it was an excellent preseason game.” - UNC field hockey coach Karen Shelton.

Notable

After Notmans’s goal with 7:01 left, the referee requested a video review, even though the ACC is not using them for conference play yet. UNC will use video review for non-conference games where both teams agree.

Three numbers that matter

• 20: The number of shots by UNC during Saturday's scrimmage. 
  • 4: The number of true freshmen who started for the Tar Heels. 
  • 8: The number of saves recorded by ODU's goalies.

What's next?

UNC travels to Michigan on Aug. 29 for their regular-season opener as a part of the ACC-Big Ten Challenge. The Tar Heels play the Wolverines at 2 p.m. on Saturday before taking on Iowa two days later.

@WBOD3