Chapel Hill mayor challenger raises more so far than incumbent

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated the amount of contributions Mayor Mark Kleinschmidt has received so far in 2015. He said he has received over $10,000 in contributions. The article has been updated to reflect these changes.

Compared to his first mayoral campaign, incumbent Mayor Mark Kleinschmidt has received substantially more contributions this time running — and Kleinschmidt has maintained a lead in the polls over his two challengers. 

Kleinschmidt said his 2009 campaign was publically financed. According to campaign disclosure reports, he received $5,615 for that race, and this year, Kleinschmidt said he has received more than $10,000. He said he plans to spend the same amount as he did in 2009, though, which is about $19,000 overall.

Financial contributions on the campaign disclosure reports include donations from both individuals and political committees. Contributions are used to spread candidates’ platforms to Chapel Hill residents.

“It’s a competitive race, it’s important that people know the differences between candidates. To do that effectively, people need information from the candidates,” said Kleinschmidt.

In his two most recent races, Kleinschmidt ran unopposed.

His opponents, Pam Hemminger and Gary Kahn, are on opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of public contributions. Hemminger has raised almost $12,000 while Kahn has received no contributions. Kahn plans to personally finance his campaign.

“As an independent candidate, I have no political obligations,” Kahn said.

Kleinschmidt suggested incumbent candidates have benefited from a previously established relationship with the residents of Chapel Hill, while challengers often struggle to get their information to the public.

“Incumbents have been successful with very few funding efforts because they’re able to get their name and message out without spending money,” Kleinschmidt said. “Challengers need to spend more to make contact with voters.”

Hemminger said the number of contributors to the campaign, rather than overall money, is a greater indicator of success. Instead of focusing all of her campaign efforts on raising money, Hemminger has worked to strengthen her community ties.

“People want to see that you have a number of supporters,” she said. “Outreach has been a key part (of my campaign), trying to reach as many people as possible and having conversations with people in the community.”

To spread information to the community, Kleinschmidt and Hemminger have spent money on yard signs, newspaper advertisements, printed materials, direct mail and website domains. Hemminger also purchased car magnets.

Kleinschmidt believes money raised not always an indicator of who the election winner will be.

“We’ve seen people be successful raising a lot of money and people being successful raising virtually none,” Kleinschmidt said. “It really depends.”

@janelittle26