Chandler Kania indicted on several charges

The former UNC student involved in a wrong-way crash on I-85 that killed three people was indicted on several charges by a grand jury Monday.

Chandler Kania, 20, was indicted on three counts of second-degree murder, three counts of felony death by motor vehicle and one count each of felony serious injury by motor vehicle, driving while impaired, driving left of center, obtaining alcohol by a minor and underage consumption of alcohol as a minor, as reported by WRAL.

Roger Smith, Jr., defense attorney for Kania, said the indictments were expected and that grand jury proceedings are held in private without the defendant or case attorneys present.

“That’s, of course, what we would expect in this case or almost any other case,” he said.

Authorities say Kania visited Chapel Hill bars He’s Not Here and La Residence on July 19 prior to attempting to get in his vehicle, at which point several friends tried to stop him and a physical altercation ensued.

Kania then drove for six miles on the wrong side of I-85, resulting in a crash that killed Felecia Harris, 49; Darlene McGee, 46; and Harris’ granddaughter Jahnice Beard, 6.

Kania is currently on house arrest at his home in Asheboro.