Letter: ​DTH didn’t consider ongoing NPHC efforts

One attribute that makes an opinion or editorial piece powerful is that it includes multiple sides of an argument and explains why the writer’s position is the strongest. It is disappointing to say that this is not what The Daily Tar Heel did when discussing all Greek organizations’ affiliation with the One Act training.

“This lack of a required training within the (Greek Alliance Council) and (the National Pan-Hellenic Council) ignores the reality that women of color experience sexual violence on par with white women, yet very rarely are allowed a space to share their stories,” was a very bold one-sided statement that was unfair to the black and brown communities on this campus that host programs on this very subject. 

We are service-based organizations that focus on issues that affect brown and black communities (and other communities as well). To say that the NPHC and the GAC do not care about an issue that is rampant in our communities is a contradiction to our founding values.

Here are examples of our activism for domestic and sexual violence:

GAC and NPHC women are about to go through training for Delta Advocates. This training will allow the women of these councils to be prepared to provide support in case one of their sisters has been sexually attacked or has experienced domestic violence.

The Omega Iota chapter of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc. hosted a domestic violence awareness event called “Invisible Scars.”

The Lambda Psi chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Inc. hosted a series of events with the Carolina Women’s Center and the UNC Men’s Project; these events were called “Campus Coffee Conversations” and discussed the topics of race, gender and consent.

The Theta Pi chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. and the Mu Zeta chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. hosted an event called “Power Trip,” a discussion on how to effectively sustain healthy relationships within the African-American community. A similar program was co-hosted by the Omega Iota chapter of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc. and the Xi Gamma chapter of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc.

The Omega Iota chapter of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc. and the Theta Omicron Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc. hosted a “Sexual Awareness Panel and Games” event, educating attendees on what a healthy relationship looks like.

The Kappa Omicron Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. helped organize the “Walk A Mile” initiative for sexual violence awareness. The Kappa Omicron chapter also brought in the well-known Mildred Muhammad, ex-wife of the DC sniper, for an event called “Break the Silence of Domestic Violence with Mildred Muhammad.”

I state all of these facts to show clearly that the National Pan-Hellenic Council and the Greek Alliance Council care deeply about awareness and prevention of sexual abuse and violence. We host several events each year to provide a space for women and men of color to speak freely about these issues and to gain valuable information about the resources on campus and around Orange County.

Requiring One Act training for NPHC and GAC members is not a bad idea. As a matter of fact, we heartily agree with such a measure. But, we resent that The Daily Tar Heel attacked our councils with a distasteful one-sided argument that ignored the efforts we have made to address these important problems. As we continue to increase our involvement in such campaigns, we ask that the effort is mutual. We invite you all to join us in awareness initiatives and to use your campus platform (the DTH) as a constructive tool during this activism.

Mishana Sturdivant

Secretary of Internal Affairs

UNC National 
Pan-Hellenic Council