New NC laws mean stricter scooter rules

The law adds another task on the list of requirements for scooter owners on campus, who must also register their scooters with UNC Transportation and Parking.

Sophomore Jessica Walker had no trouble registering her scooter with the DMV and UNC this year.

She said she decided the walk from South Campus was all the reason she needed to bring back her scooter.

“In my opinion, I really don’t care,” Walker said.

“I don’t ride it a lot anyway, but whenever I do need to park somewhere, I don’t know where the motorcycle/scooter permit places are, so I just park where I see other scooters.”

Randy Young, spokesman for the Department of Public Safety, said there are far fewer registered scooters on campus this year than in previous years.

He also said the only rules that have changed are those of the state, not the ones set in place by the campus.

“I think there is a misunderstanding that our policies have changed, and they have not,” Young said.

Warnings have been given out to some riders who do not have state DMV-registered tags.

A campus rule requires scooters to be driven on operating roads, not sidewalks or brick pathways.

Scooters must park in spaces marked “MC,” or motorcycle parking.

“Some were parking in bike racks, campus landscape and disability ramps, and this was beginning to become a concern,” Young said.

Young said the designated motorcycle parking areas provide more security and better protection from outside elements.

“They’re motorized vehicles and the parking is created for them as for any other motorized vehicle,” Young said.

DPS is continuing to make parking available for scooters. Young said they’re nearly doubling the number of spaces, which will make accessibility a lot easier.

Sgt. James David, who teaches a moped safety course through DPS, sees the new rules as a way to improve students’ safety on campus.

“Basically the new rules give us a little more leverage to enhance public safety,” David said.

Though the new rules went into effect July 1, DPS has been lenient in allowing students to adapt to the scooter rules on campus.

“We realize that is a pretty quick turn around,” David said. “We are definitely giving students time to adjust. I don’t think there will ever be a zero tolerance policy. We understand that things happen, and mistakes are made.”

The moped registration fee is $18, plus a $15 transit fee if registering in Orange County; this must be renewed yearly. If one operates a moped on a state-maintained road without registration, they could be fined.