North Carolina field hockey captures fifth-straight win Sunday

And with a 8-2 win over the Mountaineers, the Tar Heels (9-1, 2-1 ACC) extended their current win streak to five-straight games.

Sophomore Gab Major, who completed a hat trick on Friday against Boston College, opened up the scoring by knocking in a goal just over a minute and a half into the game.

About two minutes later, Major made a pass to senior Casey Di Nardo, who took advantage of the opportunity and put UNC up 2-0.

Then it was first-year Austyn Cuneo’s moment. Cuneo hadn’t scored in the Tar Heels’ first 10 games of the season. But in the 16th minute, she broke through and scored North Carolina’s third goal of the game and the first of her college career

In the following minutes, UNC scored two more goals, going up 5-0 with over 10 minutes to play in the first half.

But in the final three minutes of the half, Appalachian State made a strong offensive push and scored twice, putting the score at 5-2 at halftime.

When UNC returned to the field for the second half, the team was determined to maintain its lead.

Senior Emily Wold scored her ninth goal of the season and, about five minutes later, Di Nardo put in her second goal of the game to push the lead to 7-2. The Mountaineers were limited to just two shots in the second half by UNC’s stifling defense.

The Tar Heels scored their final goal on a penalty corner in the 66th minute. Junior Caroline Plyler scored the goal on an assist from junior Julia Young and redshirt first-year Halle Frain.

Quotable

“(I’m) very proud of Gabby. ... She’s a sniffer in front of the goal.” — Coach Karen Shelton on Major’s performance.

Notable

Meghan Dawson, who played at UNC from 2007-11, is in her first year as the head coach at Appalachian State.

Three numbers that matter

3: The number of first-years who scored for UNC on Sunday.

23: The number of UNC players who saw action in Sunday’s game against Appalachian State.

267: Minutes the Tar Heels had gone without allowing a goal until Appalachian State’s Charlotte Kirwan scored.

What’s Next?

North Carolina will play at No. 4 Virginia on Friday at 6 p.m.

@Kayleigh_Payne7