Opinion: Students should shop at places that give back

The seasons are changing once again, and as the temperature drops, students are beginning to leave the shorts and T-shirts behind and make the switch to their flannels and jeans.

Simultaneously, corporate clothing stores across the country are releasing their new fall lines, marketing heavily to college students.

Students should reject the materialistic mentality of always needing to buy something new. They should seek more creative, cost-effective and sustainable ways to be fashionable this fall — by supporting local used-clothing stores. And students should also make such places their go-to destinations for shedding old clothing.

Stores like Goodwill and Salvation Army work to offer a wide variety of vintage clothes, but they also have a mission to serve low-income community members.

When people shop at these stores, portions of their money go to community events and to helping families afford clothes. They also have initiatives, like Give a Kid a Coat, that provide free or low-price winter clothing.

Shopping at charitable stores helps not only community members who might not be able to afford new clothing, but it also helps students save money by offering typically lower prices than other stores while letting them still be able to stock fashionable clothing. Goodwill even has an online auction site the features some of its more unique and collectable items from across their 165 locations

.

So when looking for that crazy sweater to wear to a ’90s party or to get a vintage UNC shirt, look to spend your money in ways that help better the Chapel Hill community.