Progressive rock festival ProgDay returns to Chapel Hill

ProgDay, the longest-running progressive rock event in the world, has hosted 159 acts and represented 22 countries. More than 250 attendees a year flock to ProgDay to see the first American appearances of many “golden era” bands.

Although the numbers might sound impressive, ProgDay has humble roots and owes its success to a small group of volunteers.

“I never thought the music I loved when I was younger would continue to play such a big role in my life,” Debi Byrd said. Byrd, a Virginia resident who has traveled to Chapel Hill to volunteer at ProgDay since 2004, now serves as the co-producer of ProgDay.

Volunteers run the show and are compensated only by their love of the music.

“Dealing with our small budget is the biggest challenge we face,” Byrd said. “But there’s such a willingness to make it work.”

Massachusetts band Eccentric Orbit is among the nine bands performing this year. Bill Noland, the founder and band’s bass player, said progressive rock’s complex style and long-form, movements have kept a loyal following over the decades.

“Back in the dark days of the ‘70s, progressive rock was popular,” Noland said. “Then CDs in the ‘90s rekindled an interest because you could collect it. Now, it’s all over the world in small pockets.”

One pocket is Russia, where fans downloaded 200,000 copies of Louisville-based band UT Gret’s latest album. Band founder Joee Conroy said he is not surprised by the strength of the worldwide community.

“To love this music requires an attention span and appreciation for the sound,” Conroy said.

Both bands will appear at ProgDay for the first time this year.

“ProgDay is a focal point for this genre that has gone underground,” Noland said. “And the great thing is that there are no commercial expectations. It’s very liberating.”

It’s a way to widen musical horizons.

“I like the rawness of punk music mixed with the avant-garde progressive sound,” Conroy said.

Noland said the music attracts a crowd looking for depth.

“Progressive rock goes beyond the three-minute pop song,” Noland said. “The music’s not easy — but it’s a labor of love.”

‘Love’ might just be how fans of this underground genre have found a home in each other and in Chapel Hill.

“There’s this unspoken mindset that we’re a family,” Byrd said. “I like to think of it as ‘The Little Festival that could.’”

@ErinWyg28