Rainy day blows over for UNC football quarterback Marquise Williams

UNC football game v. Delaware: Quarterback Marquise Williams (12) embraces his Canter Lucas Crowley (68) after Williams's touchdown run

The normally sunny dispositioned quarterback did not play during the second half of Saturday’s rain-soaked 41-14 win against Delaware, as Coach Larry Fedora benched him for backup Mitch Trubisky.

“As a senior, just some things you have to fix and clean up,” Williams said on why he was benched. “(Fedora) expects more out of me and I gave him more today.”

Fedora cited poor decision-making as the reason Williams was replaced. In UNC’s fast-paced spread attack, the quarterback must efficiently get the ball to the team’s playmakers in space.

“You’re pretty much just the middleman,” said third-string quarterback Caleb Henderson. “You get the ball from the center and give it to your athletes.”

On Saturday, Trubisky did the better job. Williams completed 6 of 12 passes for 65 yards and a rushing touchdown in the first half before giving way to Trubisky, who completed 17 of 20 passes for 312 yards and four touchdowns.

Entering his final season at UNC, expectations were high for Williams and the Tar Heel offense. He was placed on the preseason watch list for the Maxwell Award, which is given to the best player in college football, and talked about as a potential NFL prospect.

But Williams has struggled at times this season. He threw three interceptions in UNC’s season-opening loss to South Carolina and has only eight total touchdowns through four games this season after having 10 through four games in 2014.

“I need to let the game slow down,” he said. “I’m just thinking of things I shouldn’t be worried about, like the rain.”

Fedora squashed any rumors of a quarterback controversy in Monday’s press conference, saying Williams is still the starter. So far, Williams’ teammates remain confident in him.

“We all rallied behind him (after South Carolina), because everyone has a bad game,” redshirt senior guard Landon Turner said. “I think he took what he needed to from that game. He’s definitely focused; he’s not shy in practice. He doesn’t stop being who he is.”

Williams acknowledges the pressure has affected his play, saying it’s human to start to look ahead in his senior year.

“When you think about the draft and you think about the technique or the mechanics I have or getting away from what I’m used to doing, that interrupts things,” he said.

But Williams says he has a different perspective about the future. The sun will come out again after the rain, but it won’t always shine on him as UNC’s starting quarterback.

“That stuff will come; it’s going to come when it needs to come,” Williams said. “This is it for me; this is my last year.”

“I just need to go out and have fun.”

@loganulrich