Rapid-growing senior population raises questions about bond allocations

More and more of the baby boomer generation reaches retirement age everyday, and with that comes a new set of needs for such a rapidly growing senior citizen population. 

According to the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services, the over-60 population could grow as much as 83.4 percent in the next 20 years, compared to a 3.4 percent growth for those under 18. An astronomical increase of one demographic requires a lot of planning from many different facets of the Orange County community.  

Orange County Commissioner Penny Rich has proposed for $5 million of next year's $125 million proposed bond to be allocated to senior citizens, specifically for expanding the senior centers in Orange County. The two senior centers currently in the county are the Central Orange Senior Center in Hillsborough and the Robert and Pearl Seymour Senior Center in Chapel Hill. 

Myra Austin, senior centers administrator for the Orange County Department on Aging, said seniors face many challenges, which are changing and evolving as the number of seniors in Orange County grows.

“One challenge is having enough space to accommodate them,” Austin said. “There’s a lot of issues around caregivers and caregiver support. As the population grows, there will be a need for more and more of these facilities and programs."

Senior citizens are one of the most altruistic groups in Orange County, according to Austin. The Orange County Department on Aging has programs such as Project EngAGE and Volunteer Connect that link seniors to volunteer opportunities across Orange County that match their interests and skills.

Rich said a meeting was held in April among Orange County commissioners in order to determine what needs the bond would be allocated to. Four of the commissioners indicated they didn’t want the bond to be spent on anything other than schools.

“I wanted to take the decision-making process to the citizens of Orange County to let them decide what they want to have in a bond package and what they want to pay taxes for in the upcoming years,” Rich said.

She said other stakeholders and interests in the county asked her about receiving funds from the bond, including seniors. 

"There are a number of different groups here in Orange County now, and they said, ‘how do we get on the bond?'" Rich said. "I spoke to them and told them to send letters to their county commissioners also, and come to the Sept. 15 meeting, which they did in full force.” 

Chapel Hill Town Council member Lee Storrow said senior needs are a concern for the town council.

"I frequently hear from residents that they we need more housing, especially affordable housing that allows senior-citizens to age in place,” Storrow said in an email. “It's also important that we provide amenities and active recreation for seniors.”

@_rachel_bridges