Showdown with Illinois reminds Marquise Williams of 2011 season

South Carolina surrounds senior quarterback Marquise Williams (12). Williams threw three interceptions on Sept. 3 in a 17-13 loss against the Gamecocks.

Just eight days before its season opener, Illinois fired head football coach Tim Beckman for his mistreatment of injured players.

As soon as North Carolina quarterback Marquise Williams found out, he couldn’t help but reminisce on his true freshman season in 2011.

“I thought back to Butch,” said Williams on Monday, referring to former UNC coach Butch Davis, who was fired at the end of July 2011 during the NCAA investigation.

The NCAA was investigating multiple violations found during the summer and fall of 2010, which eventually led to Davis' firing.

With both firings transpiring so close to the start of the season, both programs were forced to turn to interim head coaches. Defensive coordinator Everett Withers replaced Davis, while Illinois elected to promote offensive coordinator Bill Cubit.

The Tar Heels host the Illini on Saturday, and although the circumstances might be different, Williams knows how Illinois might be approaching this season. He and his teammates embraced a similar attitude four years ago.

“A lot of people thought it was going to be a down moment for them,” Williams said. “But I was thinking that’s not the case. These guys are going to come out, start winning football games and they’re probably going to play for a big-time bowl game.”

Illinois posted a 6-7 record in 2014, a far cry from Williams’ bowl prediction. Two of those wins included comeback victories against Youngstown State and Western Kentucky in the Illini's first two games.

But Illinois’ struggles haven’t been evident thus far in 2015. The Illini have outscored their competition 96-3 en route to a 2-0 start.

Illinois’ opponents — Kent State and Western Illinois — might not have presented the stiffest competition. But Coach Larry Fedora didn’t hesitate to call the Illini the best team UNC has played this season.

“They went out there and got it done. The mindset of their football team and what they’re doing, I’d say is pretty good,” Fedora said. “They didn’t slop around and play to the level of their opponent. They went out there, dominated and did what they should have done. That says a lot about their team.”

Senior running back Josh Ferguson has been responsible for part of Illinois’ success. After finishing fourth among all Football Bowl Subdivision tailbacks in receptions in 2014, he has totaled 178 rushing and receiving yards and three touchdowns this season.

“I watched a lot of explosive plays, and their running back looks like a guy who could make a lot of plays,” said redshirt sophomore defensive tackle Nazair Jones. “We’re going to have to get him to the ground on first contact.”

Under Withers, the Tar Heels also started the 2011 season on a high note — opening the campaign at 5-1. But Davis’ firing ultimately led to UNC’s downfall, as the team finished 7-6 and the program continues rebuilding.

Beckman’s dismissal has yet to have the same sort of effect on the Illini, and it possibly never could. But Williams knows the team’s mindset will remain consistent going forward.

“It made us say we were hungry,” said Williams of the events in 2011. “We were hungry to win football games. We were hungry to get our fan base behind us and to help us be supported on Saturdays. Those guys are the same way.”

@patjames24