UNC field hockey seniors relish in first two home wins of 2015

“When they are freshmen, they feel like they will live forever,” Coach Karen Shelton said.

“A year is such a long time, but you know it goes so quickly. Your senior year, you just can’t believe it’s your last go-around, and everything takes on added meaning.”

The Tar Heel seniors seized the moment in UNC’s (7-1, 1-1 ACC) first two home contests this weekend, routing No. 9 Louisville 5-0 on Friday before dismantling Miami (Ohio) in 3-0 fashion on Sunday.

After scoring three goals in the team’s first six road games, Di Nardo pushed across No. 3 UNC’s first goal at Francis E. Henry Stadium this season during Friday’s match. And at the conclusion of the victory, the realization of this being her final campaign began to set in.

“Every time we do the anthem, I realize it’s one less time I’ll be out here with the team,” she said

Di Nardo wasn’t the only senior to find the back of the cage against the Cardinals (6-2, 0-2 ACC). Wold extended the Tar Heels’ lead to 3-0 in the first half, and Notman notched the fourth and fifth goals of the game to secure the sentimental victory for the senior trio.

“The seniors realize what it takes to win, and what it means to wear the uniform,” Shelton said.

Wold, who added her team-leading eighth goal in Sunday’s affair, expressed the sacred aspect of this being her final year at North Carolina.

“It is your last year,” Wold said. “You just have to savor it and hold on to it.”

Although each senior contributed on the weekend, it was Wold who stole the show. In addition to scoring two goals, the midfielder tallied an assist and a defensive save to lead her squad to early home success.

“Being a senior makes me want to do more,” Wold said. “It makes you feel more in control.”

While the seniors were cherishing their final season in Francis E. Henry Stadium, the freshmen were busy making their first impressions in it.

Freshman Ashley Hoffman recorded her first collegiate goal on Sunday against the Redhawks (5-4, 1-0 Mid-American Conference), leading Di Nardo to reminisce on her first goal in a Tar Heel uniform.

“We weren’t supposed to score because we were up by so many,” said Di Nardo of her first career goal. “But whether you’re supposed to score or not, the first one is always exciting.”

Three years later, Di Nardo and her teammates are making the most of their swan songs. And with their team ranked No. 3 in the nation, Shelton knows the importance of her seniors’ presence for the Tar Heels’ championship hopes.

“Emily Wold is a world class player, Nina Notman is stepping up and really providing tremendous leadership (and) Casey Di Nardo is giving us a lot of energy up front,” she said.

“I’m proud of how our seniors are leading the way.”

@WBOD3sports@dailytarheel.com