UNC football defense aims to limit big plays

The UNC football team practice on Tuesday, August 25, 2015.

UNC’s opening game of the 2015 season Sept. 3 against South Carolina, a 17-13 loss, served to both build the defense’s confidence and highlight areas of improvement.

In the Tar Heels’ first live action, the defense saw its work pay dividends on the opening drive, as they forced the Gamecocks into a three-and-out.

“After the first game, we saw that the work that we did in the offseason paid off,” said sophomore linebacker Cayson Collins.

“We can play.”

The defense’s confidence is not misplaced. Together, 20 Tar Heels combined for 69 total tackles, holding South Carolina to 17 points. But at times, they looked shaky.

Coaches and players alike harped on the importance of eliminating what they call “catastrophic” runs.

UNC gave up a key one last week, as South Carolina’s Shon Carson took a carry 48 yards for the go-ahead touchdown in the fourth quarter.

“That was the one that got away, and it was at a critical time in the game,” said defensive coordinator Gene Chizik.

“We can’t take it back, but we can certainly learn from it.”

Carson streaked to the end zone untouched, prompting the North Carolina coaches to emphasize the importance of getting to the ball on defense and gang tackling ahead of Saturday’s matchup with North Carolina A&T.

The Tar Heels will be put to the test against a lethal running back in Tarik Cohen, whom coaches and players know is a catastrophic run just waiting to happen every time he touches the ball.

“That guy can go,” Coach Larry Fedora said. “He’s got great speed. He can take it from goal-line to goal-line, I mean on any play.”

Cohen was named co-offensive player of the year in the Mid-Eastern Athletic conference in 2014, rushing for 1,340 yards and 15 touchdowns.

To keep the Aggies’ offense in check, North Carolina will have to perform at its best both physically and mentally.

“It’s so important that those guys make good decisions,” Fedora said. “If they do that, that gives them a chance.”

In critical moments of the game, decision-making goes hand-in-hand with focus. And when it matters most, Chizik wants his players to show that same concentration.

“If you’re not focused, then you have no chance at delivering in those critical moments,” he said.

The Tar Heels are heavily favored against North Carolina A&T. But players and coaches know that on Saturdays, anything can happen.

“We can’t sleep on them,” Collins said. “You’ve got to come into the game with the mindset that they pose a threat.”

@_Brohammed