UNC football's defensive line looks to execute in backfield

Naziar Jones (90) tells the crowd to get exited during the Virginia Tech game.

Tasked with anchoring the defense, stopping the run and attacking opposing quarterbacks, the unit has yet to meet expectations this season.

“The first two games weren’t up to our standard,” said defensive tackle Jeremiah Clarke. “We’re just missing opportunities in the backfield.”

With just two sacks in two games, the Tar Heels will look to create more pressure against Illinois on Saturday. Against an Illini team that has scored 96 points in its first two games, getting to the quarterback will prove crucial.

And coaches and players know that all effective pass rushes start with one thing: stopping the run.

“Our focus is to stop the ball on the ground,” Clarke said. “If we can get them into third-and-long situations, we can do a better job of getting to the quarterback.”

While the defensive line is battling in the trenches, it will also need to win another war — the turnover battle.

And after generating three turnovers in UNC’s 53-14 victory over North Carolina A&T, the Tar Heels will look to change the complexion of Saturday’s contest by creating turnovers against Illinois.

“If we don’t get (turnovers), it’s going to be a tough day,” Coach Larry Fedora said.

Going up against Illinois quarterback Wes Lunt — who has already thrown for 478 yards this season — the Tar Heels also need to make sure he doesn’t get into a groove before it’s too late.

But for the Tar Heel defensive line, penetration has been easier than execution.

“We’ve had opportunities the last two games to have more than two sacks,” Clarke said.

“You just can’t miss your opportunities in the backfield.”

Tackling the Illini behind the line will prove a difficult task for the Tar Heels on Saturday. Lunt stands at 6-foot-5 and weighs 225 pounds, making him a difficult player to bring down.

The Tar Heels know that even if they don’t bring Lunt down every time, keeping him under duress will help the rest of the defense.

“If you can’t pressure him and you give him time, he can shred you,” said defensive coordinator Gene Chizik. “That’s really what he’s been doing the last two weeks.”

While UNC’s defense sees 225-pound Marquise Williams every day in practice, he is untouchable. This makes practicing proper tackling of quarterbacks especially difficult.

“We don’t actually practice hitting a quarterback — a big one or a little one — so that’s always tough on the defense,” Fedora said.

But the Tar Heels have found a way.

“We just practice tackling each other,” Clarke said. “If I can tackle Dajaun (Drennon), tackling a quarterback shouldn’t be as hard.”

But before they begin worrying about how they’re going to get Lunt to the ground, Chizik wants to remind his players they have to get past the Illinois offensive line first.

“You can’t bring him down if you can’t get there,” Chizik said. “It’s a tall order to get there.”

@_Brohammed