UNC-system students speak on Sanders’ charisma

“I just love how unapologetically liberal he is,” Wentz said. “He’s huge on reform on things that we’ve seen all our lives but couldn’t do anything about.”

Wentz, one of thousands in attendance at Sander’s rally at the Greensboro Coliseum Complex on Sunday, said he lost his voice yelling in support.

Though critics have alleged Sander’s plans, like one for free public education, will be too costly, Wentz said he has faith in the candidate’s vision.

“I feel like he could pull it off because he doesn’t care about the backlash, and he knows what he wants to do and he knows how to do it,” he said.

Laronda Brockington, a student and mother enrolled at UNC-G, said she identified with Sanders’ platform on lower-cost higher education.

“When I graduate, it would be nice not to have to owe my whole life to trying to get an education,” Brockington said.

Other students, like Wake Forest’s Faith Engle, pointed to Sanders’ charisma as being rejuvenating for the Democratic party.

“He speaks to our generation and not our parents,” Engle said.

Sanders made additional efforts to reach out to the student demographic, sitting down with Jesse McGuire and other leaders of UNC-CH’s chapter of College Students for Bernie.

The group, McGuire said, aims to bring Bernie to the Dean Smith Center to give students a chance to interact with the candidate.

“It felt like in kindergarten when you’re imagining what the president is going to be like and you meet this wonderful, charismatic man, and he’s warm and friendly and so personable,” McGuire said. “It was like he knew me.”

@CLRlyCorey