UNC women's soccer tops Syracuse, improves to 2-0 in ACC play

In a performance as unrelenting as the rain that consistently fell at Fetzer Field on Thursday, the North Carolina women's soccer team earned its second conference win on the season, dominating Syracuse to a tune of 3-1. 

The Tar Heels (9-0-1, 2-0-0 ACC) made use of the long ball early against the Orange (4-6-1, 0-2-0 ACC), who often let UNC attackers find space behind its back line. 

In the 24th minute, senior forward Summer Green lofted a ball over the top of the opposing defense to Alexa Newfield, who calmly converted into the bottom right corner of the goal. 

The goal marked the sixth on the season for Newfield, who is tied for the team lead in that category on the season. 

Less than six minutes later, the Tar Heels were able to push their lead to two. 

After first-year Dorian Bailey started an attack just outside the box, Jessie Scarpa and Newfield combined for a nifty string of passes, which eventually landed the ball at the feet of Bailey. She powered the ball past Syracuse's goalkeeper to put UNC up 2-0. 

Despite being outshot 12-1 in the first half, the Orange opened the second half with a new-found energy. 

This spirit turned into production in the 54th minute, when Syracuse cut the deficit in half. After a ball careened off the crossbar and fell in front of goal, Orange sophomore Sheridan Street punched the ball into the back of the net to pull within one 

But North Carolina responded quickly. Shortly after the Syracuse goal, Scarpa headed a ball into the bottom right corner of the net. The score put the Tar Heels up 3-1, which proved to be the game's final score. 

Quotable

"It seems to be difficult for a team that has a good first half and has a bit of a margin to continue to play well in the second half. Honestly, Syracuse came back and really came after us ... and the thing that disappointed me is that we didn't play with a lot of composure in the second half." — North Carolina Coach Anson Dorrance on his team's second-half performance.

Notable

Coming into the night, the Tar Heels led the ACC in assists with 27 on 28 goals scored. UNC added to that total on Thursday, compiling six assists en route to three goals. 

Three numbers that matter

3: Thursday's match marked just the third meeting between North Carolina and Syracuse. The Tar Heels now lead the series 3-0, and have outscored the Orange 6-2 in those games. 

3: With her assist in the 24th minute on Thursday, Green now has a three-match point streak against the Orange in her career. In 2013, the senior scored the game-winning goal in a 1-0 victory. In 2014, Paige Nielsen scored on a goal assisted by Green in overtime of a 2-1 win for UNC. 

3: In just 29 minutes, Newfield tallied three points on a goal and an assist. The redshirt senior, who missed the 2014 season due to injury, now has 13 points on the year. 

What's next?

North Carolina travels to Wake Forest on Sunday for its third ACC match of the season. The game will start at 5 p.m. 

@jbo_vernon