Dean Smith and Bill Thorpe honored at Peace and Justice Plaza

William Thorpe, son of Bill Thorpe spoke at the Celebration of Our Peace and Justice Legacy in front of the Post Office-Courthouse on Oct. 11, 2015.

Chapel Hill citizens gathered at the Peace and Justice Plaza for the annual Peace and Justice Nominee Ceremony on Sunday.

Each year since 2009, the post office plaza and its granite tribute marker are dedicated to community members who have demonstrated a lifelong commitment to furthering the causes of peace and justice in Chapel Hill. Members must be nominated post-mortem.

This year, the two honorees are Chapel Hill Town Council member William “Bill” Thorpe and UNC men’s basketball coach Dean Smith.

In addition to serving as head coach for 36 years, earning two national championships and being named National Coach of the Year, Smith was a social activist in Chapel Hill. He encouraged places in downtown Chapel Hill to desegregate and recruited the first African-American basketball player to the then-all-white team. For his activism, President Barack Obama presented Smith with the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2013, one of the highest accolades awarded in the nation.

At the ceremony on Sunday, Dean Smith was honored with remarks from both his son, Scott Smith, and Bobby Gersten, UNC’s oldest living basketball alumnus.

“Everyone was equal in my father’s eyes; he was a man of God, ” Smith said. “That’s why he did what he did. Not because it was popular but because it was right.”

Town Council member Thorpe was also honored in Sunday’s ceremony. Thorpe served on the Chapel Hill Town Council for a total of 11 years.

Thorpe is most known in Chapel Hill as the council member that initiated legislation to rename Airport Road to Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, a change made May 2005.

Three years before Martin Luther King Jr. Day was declared a national holiday in 1986, Thorpe convinced Chapel Hill to become one of the first municipalities to celebrate his birthday.

In 2006, Thorpe set an initiative to begin the Town of Chapel Hill Internship Program for university students. He earned the Fayetteville State University Humanitarian Award later that year for promoting civil rights.

Thorpe’s son, William Thorpe, outlined these accomplishments in a short speech to honor his father’s life.

“I can say all of these things which are true about my father,” Thorpe said. “But the only one that I can sum it all up to is generosity, which both my father and Coach Smith radiated.”

Some students of the UNC Gospel Choir agreed with Thorpe, explaining the two men’s actions have affected them greatly in their everyday life.

“It definitely sheds light on everything that I had at one time taken for granted,” said UNC senior Summer Holmes. “But I’m glad that now everyone can see that these men were more than just a councilman and a basketball coach. They paved the way for the open forum we have today.”

@deitydevyn