Funding uncertain as congress nears the end of their fall budget

Uncertainty and a lack of money slowed down Student Congress's finance committee meeting Tuesday. With only about $7,700 left for the fall semester, they had to make tough calls.

UNC Health Occupations Students of America and the False Profits were the requests that spurred the most debate, questions and concerns from the committee members.

The health group requested money in order to attend their annual state conference in Greensboro.

There was some general concerns among committee members about how much money was requested, particularly in the lodging category and the dues and fees category.

The organization requested $1,600 for dues and fees, which the committee funded. In the same motion, they struck the lodging fees to zero.

Craig Amasya, vice-chairperson of finance committee, was not sure the general student body was going to benefit from the trip.

“I’m just not sure what they’re bringing back,” he said. “I think they are doing a great thing for the people who go to these conferences.”

Amasya mentioned that he went to a similar conferences in high school for an organization called DECA, a marketing organization, and students were expected to pay out of pocket.

The organization also requested a total of $150 for speaker fees that included a graduate student panel. However, Student Congress is unable to pay for a UNC student panel, so they cut the total of that category to $80.

In the midst of many motions lowering funding in specific categories, Priyesh Krishnan, chairperson of finance committee, reminded the committee that part of their guidelines is to encourage student groups to exist.

The False Profits, a comedy troupe, also met with some concerns from the committee.

The group had previously received money in annual budget and was seeking more money to be able to travel and use the money they received earlier in the year.

Hannah Jones spoke to the committee on behalf of the False Profits. She said most of the group members are financially independent, meaning they work one or two jobs to support themselves while also being full-time students.

When Amasya asked if members could pay out of pocket, Jones said being financially independent means the members do not have extra money to travel.

Each of the five groups were reported favorably. Only the UNC Spikeball Club’s request for $400 were met fully.

Two requests will be heard in the general orders calendar at the next Full Congress meeting. The others are currently on the consent calendar.

@SUGARcain_